You may be eligible if you were charged with an offense that is in the jurisdiction of the Municipal Court and involves the operation of a motor vehicle that is defined by Section 472.022, T.C; Subtitle C, Title 7, T.C; and Section 729.001(a)(3), T.C.(operation of motor vehicle by Minors).
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.
To be Eligible to Take a Driving Safety Course or Motorcycle Operator Course for Ticket Dismissal, You Must:
- Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in person or in writing by mail.
- Enter a plea of Guilty or No Contest.
- Have a valid Texas Driver's license or permit.
- Present proof of financial responsibility (Insurance) that list you as a driver.
- Not have taken a driving safety course for ticket dismissal within the past twelve (12) months prior to the date of your offense. (12 months must pass between the date of the previous course completion and the date of the new offense)
- Sign an affidavit stating you have not taken a driving safety course in the last twelve (12) months.
- Pay court costs and administrative fee of: $107, or if a school zone offense $132.
You are NOT Eligible if:
- You hold a Commercial Driver's License.
- You were charged with speeding 25 miles per hour or more over the speed limit or traveling at a speed greater than or equal to 95 miles per hour.
- You were charged with violating one of the following sections of the Transportation Code (TRC) of the State of Texas:
- TRC Sec. 472.022 - Construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present
- TRC Sec. 545.066 - Passing a school bus
- TRC Sec. 545.401 - Reckless driving
- TRC Sec. 545.421 - Fleeing or attempting to elude Police Officers
- TRC Sec. 550.022 - Accident involving damage to a vehicle
- TRC Sec. 550.023 - Duty to give information and render aid
- TRC Sec. 522.003 - Serious traffic violations
Once You Have Obtained Approval and Paid Your Fees, You MUST:
1. A certificate of completion from a state approved Driving Safety/Safety belt Course or Motorcycle Operator Course.
2. A certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety.
NO EXTENSIONS TO COMPLETE THE COURSE WILL BE GIVEN.