THE WYLIE POLICE DEPARTMENT WILL BE TESTING FOR THE POSITION OF POLICE OFFICER ON SATURDAY MAY 10th 2014. THE TEST WILL TAKE PLACE AT MCMILLAN JUNIOR HIGH 1050 PARK BLVD. DOORS WILL OPEN AT 0830 AND CLOSE PROMPTLY AT 0900. YOU MUST SUBMIT AN APPLICATION TO TEST.
THE POSTING WILL CLOSE AFTER THE FIRST 50 APPLICATIONS
CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF QUALIFICATIONS
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AN EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
Wylie Police Department
The written examination is administered to all applicants at the same time. A driver's license with photo is required for admission to the test.
The entrance exam is basic knowledge. The test is administered in three sections covering reading comprehension, grammar, and mathematics. Calculators or dictionaries will not be allowed. All telecommunication devices and watch alarms must be turned off.
To order a study guide at your own expense click here.
Physical Ability Examination
The individuals with passing scores on the entrance exam will be required to complete a test measuring general physical ability the same day.
Physical Fitness Standards
Preliminary Background Investigation
Upon passing the physical ability test, candidates will be given a Personal History packet to complete and return on a given date. All information will be confirmed. Omissions or falsifications are grounds for rejection.
IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT DISQUALIFIES
- Applicant is younger than 20 and does not have a high school diploma OR a GED.
- Applicant has a driver's license that is invalid and / or not clear
- Applicant has a Felony conviction
- Applicant has been convicted of a Misdemeanor crime, above Class C, within the last 10 years
- Applicant has a Misdemeanor conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude within the last ten (10) years
- Applicant is currently charged or under investigation for any criminal offenses
- Applicant is under court or community supervision for a misdemeanor offense
- Applicant has used marijuana beyond experimentation
- Applicant has illegally used a drug(s), including prescription medicine, beyond experimentation
- Applicant has stolen from employer(s) with a cumulative total of $50.00 or more within the past ten years
- Applicant intentionally omits information on application or Personal History Statement
- Applicant provides a false statement of information on application or Personal History Statement
- Applicant provides an intentionally misleading statement on application or Personal History Statement
- Applicant falsifies job(s) related documents
- Applicant fails to return completed Personal History Statement by due date
- Applicant is ten (10) minutes or more late for interview without notifying the Police Department of such tardiness (exceptions may be made for certain emergencies)
- Applicant has been convicted of a DWI within the past ten (10) years; no more than one (1) conviction total
- Applicant interferes, obstructs or otherwise causes influence in the background process
Oral Interview Board
Depending on the number of positions to be filled, candidates with acceptable backgrounds will be interviewed for the position of Police Officer by an interview panel.
Interview with Chief of Police
Candidates may be interviewed for the position of Police Officer by the Chief of Police. Suitable candidates will be recommended to the Police Chief. Depending on the number of positions to be filled, suitable candidates may be given a conditional offer of employment. This offer is conditional upon passing the background investigation, drug screen, medical, psychological, and polygraph examination.
Upon passing the Chiefs Interview. The Background Investigator will conduct a thorough background investigation. All information will be confirmed. Omissions or falsifications are grounds for rejection.
Polygraph and Psychological Evaluation
Each candidate must pass an evaluation by a licensed Psychologist. Each candidate is required to submit to a polygraph examination that will be arranged by the City of Wylie.
Prior to being hired each candidate is required to undergo a thorough medical examination provided by the City of Wylie. This examination will include testing for drug dependency or illegal drug use. Candidates will be given a vision examination, at no cost to the applicant. This examination is to ensure all applicants meet the vision requirements.
Basic Peace Officer Academy
Non TCOLE certified recruits hired by Wylie PD will be required to attend the police academy. Wylie PD uses, but is not limited to using the Collin County Law Enforcement Academy located within the Central Campus of Collin College. Recruits who are sponsored by Wylie PD will attend the Full-Time Basic Peace Officer Academy. The schedule is Monday-Thursday from 1300-2200 hrs and Friday from 0830-1730. The course runs for approximately 5 months.
Those who wish to attend the academy on their own can choose between the full-time and part-time academy. All application and admission requirements are listed on the CCLEA webpage.
Click here to access the Collin County Law Enforcement Academy webpage.
Effective February 2011 any applicant that fails the Written Exam or PT will be disqualified from testing for 6 months. Any applicant that fails the Oral Board, Background Investigation, Psychological Examination, Polygraph Examination, or Medical/Drug Testing will be disqualified from testing for 1 year.
Additional links for Wylie Police Department Information:
Wylie PD Firearms Training Video
For additional information or questions contact:
Detective M. A. Johnson - (972) 442-4587
"To Make Wylie a Safe Place to Live, Work, and Visit"