THE WYLIE POLICE DEPARTMENT WILL BE TESTING FOR THE POSITION OF POLICE OFFICER ON SATURDAY OCTOBER 11th 2014. THE TESTING WILL TAKE PLACE AT MCMILLAN JR HIGH SCHOOL 1050 PARK BLVD WYLIE TEXAS 75098.
DOORS TO THE SITE WILL OPEN AT 8:30 AM AND CLOSE PROMPTLY AT 9:00AM. YOU MUST APPLY TO TEST.
The written examination is administered to all applicants at the same time. A driver's license with photo is required for admission to the test. The entrance exam is basic knowledge. The test is administered in three sections covering reading comprehension, grammar and mathematics. Calculators or dictionaries will not be allowed. All telecommunication devices and watch alarms must be turned off. A study guide can be purchased at your own expense. See useful links above.
Physical Ability Examination
As part of the City of Wylie Police Department application process, you will be required to participate in a physical fitness assessment. The assessment involves rigorous physical activity that will test your fitness level as it relates to the position you are applying for. You will be required to obtain a medical clearance from your doctor at your own expense prior to participating in the assessment.
Please see the medical clearance and waiver attached to the police officer / recruit application in the useful links section listed above. Applicants who do not have their paperwork will not be allowed to test.
The test will include:
- Vertical jump: Minimum of 16 inches
- Sit-ups: Minimum of 20 sit-ups in 1 minute.
- 300-meter run: Less than 1 minute and 14 seconds
- Push-ups: Minimum of 22 push-ups in 1 minute
- 1.5-mile run: Less than 16 minutes
A more detailed explaination of the physical testing requirements can be found attached to the poice officer / recruit application listed in the useful links section listed above.
Preliminary Background Investigation
Upon passing the physical ability test, candidates will be given a Personal History packet to complete and return on a given date. All information will be confirmed. Omissions or falsifications are grounds for rejection.
IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT DISQUALIFIERS
- Applicant is younger than 20 and does not have a high school diploma OR a GED.
- Applicant has a driver's license that is invalid and / or not clear.
- Applicant has a Felony conviction.
- Applicant has been convicted of a Misdemeanor crime, above Class C, within the last 10 years.
- Applicant has a Misdemeanor conviction for a crime involving moral turpitude within the last ten (10) years.
- Applicant is currently charged or under investigation for any criminal offenses.
- Applicant is under court or community supervision for a misdemeanor offense
- Applicant has used marijuana beyond experimentation.
- Applicant has illegally used a drug(s), including prescription medicine, beyond experimentation.
- Applicant has stolen from employer(s) with a cumulative total of $50.00 or more within the past 10 years.
- Applicant intentionally omits information on application or Personal History Statement.
- Applicant provides a false statement of information on application or Personal History Statement.
- Applicant provides an intentionally misleading statement on application or Personal History Statement.
- Applicant falsifies job(s)-related documents.
- Applicant fails to return completed Personal History Statement by due date
- Applicant is ten (10) minutes or more late for interview without notifying the Police Department of such tardiness (exceptions may be made for certain emergencies).
- Applicant has been convicted of a DWI within the past ten (10) years; no more than one (1) conviction total.
- Applicant interferes, obstructs or otherwise causes influence in the background process
Lateral Move Program
The Wylie Police Department offers a Lateral Move program for experienced peace officers. Experienced officers may also be eligible for an abbreviated Field Training Program. If an applicant qualifies for the Lateral Move Program, the starting salary will correspond with the applicant's previous years of full-time law enforcement as well as the size of the applicant’s previous agency or agencies not to exceed $60,269 annually.
Effective February 2011 any applicant that fails the Oral Board, Background Investigation, Psychological Examination, Polygraph Examination, or Medical/Drug Testing will be disqualified from testing for one year. (Amended June 3, 2014)
For additional information or questions contact:
Detective M. A. Johnson - (972) 442-4587
"To Make Wylie a Safe Place to Live, Work and Visit"