Printable Wylie Fire Rescue Recruitment Document
- Minimum age 18, high school diploma or equivalent
- Certified at a minimum as a Basic Structural Fire Protection Personnel by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection or eligible to obtain your certification
- Certified at a minimum as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) by the Texas Department of State Health Services, or Certified as a Paramedic by the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Possess a National Registry Certification for Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic
- Invitation to Test
- Written Test
- Physical Ability
- Oral Interview
- Background Investigation
- DPS Check
- Psychological Exam
- Drug Screen
- Medical Evaluation
- Interview with the Fire Chief
YOU MUST APPLY TO TEST
FireTEAM is a video-based testing system that assesses critical skills necessary to be a firefighter and includes the often-overlooked content areas of teamwork and human relations as well as mechanical aptitude, reading ability and basic math skills.
As an option, Ergo metrics has a practice test the applicant may purchase. The test can be found at the following link: https://ergopracticetests.com/index.cfm?FTB
Physical Ability Examination
You must pass the written examination with a test score of 70 or better to be eligible to take the physical ability test. Eligible applicants will receive a letter inviting them to participate in the physical ability test.
Physical Ability Preparation
- A 20-minute video will be presented before the test.
- A walk-through of the test will be given to all eligible applicants.
- Time limit is 7:58 minutes.
- Testing gear: (Structure) helmet, coat, gloves, SCBA (will not be on air), and knee pads
- Sixty-five-foot aerial climb at 70 degrees (not timed) at the end of the physical ability test
- Event 1 - Candidate will advance a dry 1 3/4 pre-connected hose 70 ft. around two corners and place the nozzle in a designated spot.
- Event 2 - Candidate will advance a charged 1 3/4 pre-connected hose line 70 ft. then through a diminishing clearance obstacle and set the nozzle down in a designated spot.
- Event 3 - Candidate will raise a 24-ft. extension ladder hand over hand and back down.
- Event 4 - Candidate will climb up and back down a 14-ft. roof ladder carrying a simulated 22-lb. chainsaw and place the chainsaw in the designated spot.
- Event 5 - Candidate will crawl a distance of 20 ft. across a simulated attic space carrying a flashlight in his/her hand and place flashlight in a designated spot.
- Event 6 - Candidate will stand on a pitched roof and strike the pad on the roof 30 times with a 10.5-lb. sledge hammer. When finished, candidate will place sledge hammer in designated spot.
- Event 7 - Candidate will drag a 162-lb. dummy 20 ft. and place in designated area.
- Event 8 - Candidate will remove 14-ft. ladder from mounted hooks and carry 51 ft. in a diamond-shaped course and replace the ladder back on mounted hooks. The ladder is not to touch the ground at any point.
- Event 9 - Candidate will crawl on the ground for 40 ft. following a painted line in a square shape.
- Event 10 - Candidate will climb up and down a flight of stairs three times while carrying a 7.5-lb.-flat head axe. Up to the top and back down is one. Candidate must touch the top three times and the bottom three times. Candidate's time will end when candidate steps off the bottom step and places axe in the designated spot on the third and last revolution.
Preliminary Background Investigation
Upon passing the physical ability test, candidates will be given a personal history packet to complete and return on a given date. All information will be confirmed. Omissions or falsifications are grounds for rejection.
Firefighter EMT-B Starting Salary = $55,102/annually
Firefighter Paramedic Starting Salary = $56,204/annually plus $2,500 certification pay