Kids Summer Programs Tuesdays @ 10:00am
All programs are virtual and posted on Facebook @SmithPublicLibrary
Programs are geared towards elementary school aged kids.
· June 9 Science Tellers: Dragons: Return of the Ice Princess
· June 16 James Wand: Secret Agent Magic Show
· June 23 Wildlife on the Move: Animal Show
· June 30 Red Door Dance Academy: Dance Party on Facebook Live
· July 7 A Play On Swords: Swashbuckling Pirates on Facebook Live!
· July 14 Brett Roberts: Professor Pop’s Indoor Bubble Show
· July 21 Blackland Prairie Raptor Center: Birds of Prey on Facebook Live
Tween Summer Programs: Welcome to Camp Chaos!
For kids entering 4th-6th grades only.
All challenges are virtual and posted on Facebook @SmithPublicLibrary @ 2:00pm. Registration links go live 1 week prior to the program date below. Take home kits for starred programs are limited and for kids entering 4th-6th grades only.
Can you stop Loki and his gang before they open Pandora’s box? See if you can complete all seven challenges!
·June 10 Don't Play with Your Food* - Race against the clock to complete four sixty-second challenges then solve the puzzle to eliminate one of Loki’s gang! Look for our CampChaos Facebook post on June 10th for complete instructions for each activity and a link to a puzzle.
· June 17 Science of Spin - Does your yo-yo string always get tangled? Join Val Oliver, Professional Yo-Yo & Spin Top Champion, and learn "getting started" tips on yo-yoing and a little fun 'science of spin' along the way! Heroes need to practice their yo-yo skills for this one. Remember to go to the library's Facebook page on June 17th @ 2:00pm for the youtube link for this challenge.
· June 24 Critterman- Every hero needs to understand that listening to false or misleading information about animals can promote fear. In a program created specifically for the Smith Public Library, Critterman will help us understand that all living creatures serve a purpose and separate fact from fiction. Check the CampChaos Facebook post fto access the program on June 24th.
· July 1 Monster Protection* - Heroes, it’s time to create monster protection devices! Your challenge this week - craft two devices to help with your defense. You will also solve clues to defeat another villain. A limited number of supply kits will be available for pick-up at the Children’s Desk to participants entering 4th-6th grades after they receive confirmation for their registration. After registering, look for an email confirming your supply kit is ready to pick up. Supplies include instructions, a sturdy paper plate, yarn, bells, recycled yogurt container, beads, and a die. You will need to provide drawing materials, scissors and blank paper. Craft instructions will be posted on Facebook July 1st at 2:00 PM.
· July 8 James Wand Magic Lesson* - James Wand, Spy Magician, (@jameswandmagic) has jumped on board to help us stop Loki and his gang from stealing Pandora’s Box! A limited number of magic trick supply kits will be available for pick-up at the Children’s Desk to participants entering 4th-6th grades after they receive confirmation for their registration. For an idea of what to expect,check this out! Don’t forget to visit the CampChaos Facebook post for this week’s hero challenge and also share photos of your magic skills.
· July 15 Escape the Fairy Tale Labyrinth* - Engineer and design a castle, a tower for Rapunzel, a labyrinth and a troll bridge. A limited number of supply kits will be available for pick-up at the Children’s Desk to participants entering 4th-6th grades after they receive confirmation for their registration. Supplies include Instructions, toothpicks, fruit gummies, yarn, a sturdy paper plate, marbles, straws, pipe cleaners, and cardboard toilet paper rolls. You will need to provide scissors, tape, and/or glue. Don’t forget to share your creations on SPL’s Facebook page and check out this week’s challenge! #UTDSEEC helped provide inspiration for some of these activities.
· July 22 UTD Virtual Cipher Kit* - UTD’s cyber squad (AKA Science and Engineering Education Center) has provided us with some awesome code and cipher activities! A limited number of supply kits will be available for pick-up at the Children’s Desk to participants entering 4th-6th grades after they receive confirmation for their registration. Kits include instructions, codes to crack and a special invisible ink pen to decode your last challenge. #UTDSEEC
Watch more of our videos on our youtube channel!